1) Start saving and setting aside money now (yes, even in these last few weeks of November. You can’t start months ago but you can start now.
2) Set a spending plan (aka a budget) for holiday gifts. Make a detailed list by person and include the planned per person spending amount and total the list. (Make sure you know how you will pay this total amount.)
3) Once you make your list, review it and likely cut it down. Carry this list everywhere you go. Start early and look for sales – but don’t buy what you don’t need or isn’t on the list. Check for any gift cards, store credits, or online coupons you may have that you can use. Even install the Honey app so that they will check for you to make sure you have the lowest price available.
4) Ask people about their holiday wish list. That way you will get them what they want and it likely is less than what you may be planning to buy them, or you can go in with another friend/family member on the purchase once you know what they really want.
5) If you know that you have a problem in sticking to your spending plan, avoid credit and use cash. Don’t let hype influence your spending. Pay attention to where you shop.
6) Recognize that the price of the gift you give is not an indication of your amount of love for the recipient or how much they will love you back.
7) DIY- Be creative! Some of the best gifts ever given or received are home made, include extra thoughtfulness and heart, and experiences that only you can create and enjoy together.
Belinda Rosenblum is a CPA and Wealth Expert who helps you take the worry and fear out of money. She knows that most people struggle to stay ahead of their monthly bills… even when they’re earning good money. Belinda and her company, OwnYourMoney.com, give you a 4-part plan that helps you make the most of your money now and still save enough for retirement.
Get started with her money type quiz to get the exact steps YOU need to take control of your money at www.OwnYourMoney.com/quiz today. Belinda will be a featured speaker at the 2019 WIB Summit – be sure to join us to meet her there!
Belinda's book Self-Worth To Net Worth: 12 Keys to Creating Wealth Inside and Out is now available at: www.SelfWorthBook.com. Get your copy now! Own Your Money. Own Your Life.